The team at London Damp Company have been surveying and damp proofing for over 20 years and have practically experimented nearly every possible damp cure treatment over this time. As a damp proofing specialist, we needed to understand how moisture works to be able to guarantee that I could get rid of damp. Before it is possible to get rid of damp in your London property it is important to establish the main cause of the damp problem.
Damp with Black Mould and Condensation
Black mould can occur when there is an excessive build-up of moisture in the air, this is typical in warm, humid and damp areas of a London based property. Black mould leaves a lingering damp smell in the property and additional can carry health risks. You can identify whether your property has condensation problems, as there is generally black mould around windows and mould on walls of exterior walls. Any Walls should be cleaned down with an anti-mould agent.
Checklist for Condensation Management.
- Keep an ambient temperature using the central heating system at all times.
- Change bathroom fans for humidity controlled fans.
- Open windows, vents, blinds and curtains especially when drying clothes inside. Avoid drying clothes inside where ever possible.
- Ventilate when cooking especially when slow cooking.
- Install ventilation where necessary. Passive vents have a thermal core to eliminate draughts.
- Add a dehumidifier to the room in the colder months. Generally, the heating should eliminate the problem if controlled and ventilated properly.
Penetrative Damp should be cured by fixing the appropriate fault. The plasterwork should then be replaced if it does not dry out sufficiently after treatment. Old lime mortar and gypsum-based products generally will need replacing for a waterproof system.
If you require any further information or would like to speak to someone then why not drop us a call or upload pictures to our website and we can discuss with you the best options to get rid of damp in your property on 0207 127 6886 or contact us.