Condensation is one damp problem most of us here in the UK are familiar with. It’s not unusual to wake up on a winter morning to find your windows beaded with droplets of condensation, so it may come as a surprise for you to find it characterised as a damp problem. And indeed it isn’t necessarily so.
But at London Damp Company our condensation specialists often advise clients whose homes are afflicted by heavy or persistent condensation. Their condensation issues are usually much more serious than a bit of beading on the bedroom windowpane. So here’s a quick guide to help you decide whether the condensation in your home has reached problematic proportions.
Condensation is a Problem When
- It gives rise to black mould, because the spores of black mould are bad for your health. This is a particularly important point to note if your household includes anyone who is very young, very elderly, is asthmatic or whose immune system doesn’t function properly.
- It causes your wooden window frames to rot, which it can if it’s heavy and you’re not assiduous about wiping your windows down every morning.
- It is caused by an underlying damp problem such as rising damp or penetrative damp.
If you’ve spotted any of these problems in your home or recognise the signs of rising or penetrative damp, complete the form to the right of this page and a condensation specialist will call you back. Alternatively, call us directly on 0207 127 6886.
You Can Manage the Effects of Condensation By
- Wiping down your windows and window frames every morning. This is especially important if you have timber windows and want to prevent them rotting. But wring the cloth out after you’ve finished, and don’t dry it on a radiator: this only creates further condensation.
- Laying absorbent sponge strips inside your window frames to catch the moisture as it drips down.
- Installing a dehumidifier. These can be costly to run but are highly effective.
DIY methods of managing condensation are often perfectly adequate, but they’re not sustainable. After all, you can’t always guarantee that your windows will be wiped and your dehumidifier run while you’re away on holiday. And condensation affects your whole house, not just the windows, so it’s far better to get it treated by an expert.
Remember too that condensation can be caused by an underlying damp problem. Act according to the precautionary principle and book your free damp survey today Click Here. Or call us for advice on 0207 127 6886.